A Serious, Under-Recognized Problem Among Women and Girls
Nearly 14 million US women binge drink about 3 times a
Women average 6 drinks per binge.
1 in 5 high school girls binge drink.
Drinking too much can seriously affect the
health of women and girls.
Drinking too much can seriously affect the health of women and
- Women’s and girls’ bodies respond to alcohol differently than
men’s. It takes less alcohol for women to get intoxicated because
of their size and how they process alcohol.
- Binge drinking can lead to unintended pregnancies. It is not
safe to drink at any time during pregnancy.
- If women binge drink while pregnant, they risk exposing their
developing baby to high levels of alcohol, increasing the chances
the baby will be harmed by the mother’s alcohol use.
Drinking is influenced by your community and your
- Alcohol use in a community is affected by alcohol’s price and
- Underage drinking is affected by exposure to alcohol
- Underage drinking is also influenced by adult drinking, and
youth often obtain alcohol from adults.